20 May 2013

Hooded Utility Hits DC

Hey ladies, just got back from a long weekend away with the fam to visit relatives in the DC area. Since we packed light, I pretty much wore a variation of this outfit the entire time:

utility stripes  utility stripes

We road-tripped it, which is one of my fave ways to travel. I sat in the waaaaay back, but one thing about riding from the cheap seats - with no pilot/co-pilot duties, I can just sit back and turn my nosy on, peering through the side windows at everyone's everything. Overpacked cars, cows on fields, strange over-abundance of above-ground pools through Jersey - here's looking at you from 65mph.

utility stripes  utility stripes

Jacket: F21 hooded utility (sim, sim, pricey)
Top: F21 essential striped (wider, pinker, as blouse)
Jeans: BR factory (worn here - sim, sim, deal)
Necklace: gift (sim, sim, blingier)
Bracelets: F21 & Old Navy (sim, sim, sim)
Bag: J.Crew striped tillary (worn here - sim, sim, pricey)
Shoes: J.Crew sardinia espadrilles (sim, slip-on, sneaker)

And here are some pics of our trip via iPhone - we had my little nephew with us, so of course we kept the visit educational:

NY-DC  NY-DC
I think after this trip my fam has hit about every Smithsonian museum in DC - this time we hit the American Indian Museum.

NY-DC  NY-DC
And of course we nom'd.

NY-DC  NY-DC

NY-DC  NY-DC
We also hit the Hirshhorn Museum - Venus with Rags sure looks like how I feel some mornings trying to get dressed.

NY-DC  NY-DC
Though I don't understand most modern art ... nor do I understand why Hello Kitty needs to go to space.

NY-DC  NY-DC
And we rounded things out with my fave, the Air and Space Museum Udvar-Hazy Center - it's next to Dulles Airport, so a bit of a drive, but a real treat if you're an aviation nut like I am. Space Shuttle Discovery is there!

NY-DC  NY-DC
I told you I pretty much wore the same thing all weekend.

NY-DC  NY-DC
Favorite meal of the trip for me was actually our last. Tsukasa Restaurant in Bordertown, NJ by Trenton. Quiet tiny restaurant in a picturesque little town run by a Japanese couple. Food was worth considering how to wind our way back there for in the future.

+++

I'm biz-tripping again this week - one of these days I'll get back to regular posting and blog reading again! Have a good Monday!

39 comments:

  1. Looks like y'all had a good trip! I'm with you, I will never understand modern art.

    I love your outfit and the variations of it! I keep seeing so many bloggers in a utility jacket, maybe I'll brave up in the fall and get one :)

    <3 Danielle
    Goodwillista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the PERFECT utility jacket. Can you believe that I still haven't bought one! Ugh, I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. smiling at Venus with Rags, that could sooo easily be me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. I've not been out to the DC area but look forward to head out that way when my son gets older. Great road tripping outfits - comfy & chic!

    Alice
    www.happinessatmidlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roads trips are so much fun, especially when you don't have to share the responsibility of driving or navigating and can just relax at the back :) Love your trip outfits, very comfy but still very put-together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That necklace is the bomb! I've been fortunate to visit NYC & DC in the last couple of months, and I'm proud that my travel outfit is similar to yours - striped shirt, cuffed jeans, military jacket, and my comfy Rocket Dogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like such a fun trip! I love the utility jacket and your stripes! Have fun on your business trip!
    Meredith
    createthatoutfit.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your travel outfit looks comfy yet super stylish! I went to college in Maryland so I went to DC a lot during those years. I've never been to the Hirshhorn Museum though...have to check that out the next time I visit!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Target Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay to vacay pics! I feel like I was there with you, especially the food photos! Glad to see that utility jacket - was debating whether or not to take mine to Yale this summer and you've just convinced me that it goes with everything. :D

    www.myclosetcatalogue.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the pictures, I LOVE how you styled the utility jacket with various stripes, you make me want to reconsider it...
    Oh, and I am now seriously thinking to take a trip to DC and stop at that sushi restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, i think this is one of my favorite outfits that you've ever posted. i seriously want everything that you wore here. and not in a creepy way... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the mix of the jacket and red striped top! The touch of blue is perfect as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great trip! You were so close to us - in fact, we were in Georgetown with friends this weekend. As for the outfit, it's a cute combo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute...love all of the stripes! and hey, when you find a good thing...wear it out!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the nautical vibe you have going on - and those DQ cones are the BEST!

    XO
    Pearls & Paws

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the J.Crew bag! It looks a bit like the Celine bag that I've seen some bloggers sporting. This outfit is perfect for road tripping...I'm thinking I might like to recreate something like this for tripping up to the lake house :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Someday I'm hoping to find the tillary tote in blue...wishful thinking maybe.
    Method Clothe

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you enjoyed Udvar-Hazy. For some reason Air & Space was my favorite museum as a kid, but Udvar-Hazy doesn't do it for me as an adult, haha.

    Where are those mini cakes from?! (The photo next to the DQ cone)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cakes are from Maria's Baker in Rockville, MD.

      Delete
  19. I love educational museums! I didn't get a chance to see the Air and Space last time in D.C., so glad to see some of your recap pics! Love the cross-body bag you're wearing in your trip too! I need to find myself something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  20. lol, venus with rags. i agree, modern art can be a little wonky. not sure what they were going for there

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahh love at first sight! Such a cute nautical vibe you have going on here! Those espadrilles are gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hehehe!! I don't understand modern art either. Sometimes I feel like I'm so uncultured when I hear people talking about how amazing or how blown away they are by the exhibition...especially the performance art. But I do love science museums or historical exhibits.

    ~Jane B.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dc is like an open air museum! i love it and everytime i go i always see something new, its a delightful trip to make.
    Hello Kitty is needed in space period.d-

    ReplyDelete
  24. I was at Udbar-Hazy this weekend too - and took a pic about 10 feet from yours! Wouldn't it be weird if an anonymous rando blog reader approached you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never met a reader or another blogger but I agree it would be kind of weird - like worlds colliding, haha!

      Delete
  25. You look too cute in your utility jacket and stripes! And Venus With Rags was just too awesome. I love road trips; we drove from Sweeden to Denmark last summer and it was just so much fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a fun post. And although you wore pretty much the same things, you managed to make them all look different. Like each one of them.
    Oh and guess what? I found your turquois/orange necklace in Paris. Photographed it but did not buy it. Did not want to imitate you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The stripes are awesome! Love it! Thanks for sharing pics!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is the perfect utility jacket! Love that you paired it with stripes. And looks like such a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your outfit, you look fab! Oh and I super love your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can very well relate to Venus too! Haha!

    Cute stripey outfit, Lisa!

    Abi
    http://thebelatedbloomer.blogspot.com
    twitter and instagram: @BelatedBloomer

    ReplyDelete
  31. I pretty much wear the same outfit everyday on vacation too. Love the cargo jacket...I still need one! Looks like a fun trip!
    ~Jessica

    $20 Target Gift Card Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  32. I cannot get enough of this outfit and all of the stripes! In love!

    ReplyDelete
  33. But you looked so cute in it. Totally worthy of multiple wears in the same week. Hello Kitty...to get girls interested in space? A cartoon doll wouldn't have done it for me at a young age, but perhaps it would've made a subconscious impression. (shrugs)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Sounds like such a fun trip. It reminds me that I haven't been in a museum in forever.

    7% Solution​

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).