27 July 2012

Solids & Road Trippin'

solids

Hey, ladies! Boy, has it been H O T lately! I don't even think we've hit the dog days yet of summer, but I am sure left panting and hiding in shade whenever I can. So of course, I've been trying to keep my outfits as easy as possible

I flew up to NY to visit the fam for a few days (thus my blog absence this week) and we took a family road trip down to DC to see my grandmother. So let's just say my caloric intake for the week has been less than stellar - but my fam did make a mealtime pit stop at Cracker Barrel along the way (their first visit ever! I was mildly aghast!)

solids  solids

Much as I generally dislike the whole "getting there" part of any trip, there's a soft spot in my heart for road trips. There's something about sitting in a car with (hopefully) people you enjoy, listening to music, munching and watching the world flit by at eye level. I am totally one of those people who will starting pointing wildly whilst screaming "look, [insert fluffy non-urban animal of choice here]!" and scare the crap out of my car mates.

Here's a few general pics from my trip - sure we had some bouts of grumpy adults (me), are-we-there-yet kids (little nephew), heads bouncing as people nodded off (except poor brother-in-law, aka designated driver), sticky in-car snack messes (nephew ... and me), way too much mental stimulation (radio blaring, fam chattering, road noise, nephew singing and blaring video games on volume high) - but it was worth it to spend time with the fam, get to see my grandmother and take a little break from the usual.

Do you enjoy road trips or are you one of those people who just want to get it over with? What have been some of your fave road trips?

DC/NJ - July '12

DC/NJ - July '12
We spent the day in DC and started out near the Constitution Gardens Pond and walked our way through pretty
much every memorial and literally all the way around the Tidal Basin. The Reflecting Pool was under construction unfortunately,
and by the time we made it all the way to Constitution Avenue, we were plain tuckered!

DC/NJ - July '12

DC/NJ - July '12
A visit to the ice cream truck later, we had enough sugar energy to stroll about for another few hours.
This was my first visit to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. Airplanes and free museums are kickass, people ...

DC/NJ - July '12
I adored the buildings around Georgetown - though weekend parking and traffic were a mess! We also passed the famous Georgetown Cupcakes - and there was literally a line around the block and the police were there for crowd control. Those must be some kind of cupcakes ...

DC/NJ - July '12

solids

solids

Dress: Old Navy (worn here - sim, cas, dressier, flowy, solid)
Sweater: J.Crew featherweight (worn here - sim)
Necklace: Laila Rowe (sim) & Natasha Grasso via Etsy (sim)
Ring: c/o JewelMint (sim, hammered, pave)
Bracelets: Target (sim)
Shoes: Toms canvas (worn here - sim, same navy, striped, burlap)
Bag: Zara (on sale, check stores - sim-ish, canvas, large)

On our way back, we made a little side trip to the place where we spent our first two years in the States - the Jersey shore! We totally weren't dressed for a beach pit stop, but it was great to stop for a bit, enjoy the salty air and reminisce for a bit about how much things have changed around there, yet stayed the same.

DC/NJ - July '12

DC/NJ - July '12
My little nephew and brother-in-law. Nephew looooooves the water!

DC/NJ - July '12
It was a wee bit windy that day ...

★     ☆     ★     ☆

Thanks for reading, ladies! Have a great weekend - and who else can't wait for those Olympic games to start up already-already?

(And I'll be announcing the winner of the $100 Shopbop gift card in the next few days - thanks again to those who have participated).

48 comments:

  1. Omg, your shoes are so cute! I have got to get myself a pair!
    www.Tinacious.Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your colorblocked dress is so cute! DC has a soft spot in my heart since I went to college in Maryland. I spent many weekends shopping in Georgetown :) Your beach visit was right near me! Have a great weekend, Lisa!

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart
    Enter my Daisy Rae giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your 'hood is great - I used to live there when I was in preshool.

      Delete
  3. Love the dress! And I love that you paired it with yellow AND pink! I'm a sucker for road trips too. Although in my "old" age I'm not quite as fond of them anymore. We always road tripped though when I was a kid so I'll probably always have a soft spot for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the youngest in my fam if you don't think of my nephew, so I'm still kind of treated like a kid (I sit in the way back, I get lots of snacks and passed magazines, etc.) - maybe that's why I still love road trips, haha.

      Delete
  4. Love your beachy look - seems like it was a really great trip!
    and georgetown cupcakes? meh. it's just a cupcake. honestly nothing to merit that kind of line.

    and what, you are going to make me wait to know the winner?
    was it me? was it me? was it me?!

    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  5. First things first - love your outfits. So simple and fun. And I agree, I usually don't love road trips but there have been a few exceptions. When I graduated high school, my mom sister and I drove from Ohio to South Dakota. We drove there to spend a week working on an Indian Reservation but left a few days early so we could catch the tourist spots on the way (Mount Rushmore, The Badlands, etc). We ended up picking up flyers and randomly checking out places, it was such an incredible experience and I'd love to do it again someday. Thanks for sharing pics - looks like you had a great time. :)

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome. I'd love to be able to have the time to explore and be open for side trips - yours sounds so fun!

      Delete
  6. Road trips are my favorite! I wish I could get back up to DC again now that I'm an adult--we went on a field trip there when I was in middle school, and sadly, I can't remember enough about the trip! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went in middle school too - don't remember a bit about that!

      Delete
  7. i'm kinda one of those people who loves travel but hates getting there. i have a bit of a higher tolerance for road trips than i do for planes, but i hate sitting in traffic. ;)

    lovely photos and looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you - I'd totally rather drive out of the way versus sitting in traffic.

      Delete
  8. I love road trips as long as I have the right snacks, comfortable clothes, and music. I can pretty much travel just about anywhere by myself or with family/friends. Sometimes the trips by myself are my favorite because I really get to think and meditate. My favorite road trip so far was a drive up to Vermont for the first time. It's a beautiful state. Thanks for sharing pics of your trip - they made me really miss DC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I lived in the SW, I used to love to take day driving trips by myself, getting lost and exploring. However, when I'm with other folks and they're driving, I can just glue my eyes to the side windows and check out the scenery with no pressure!

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great weekend trip! I dislike driving for long periods of time - in fact I love traveling but hate the actual travel part, especially on the way home...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going back is always a bit bittersweet, anticipation with dread at going back to "reality," haha.

      Delete
  10. Welcome back! You look lovely in this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay for the Jersey shore, you were in my hood :) I really need to get back to DC sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like an amazing trip! I love your color-blocked outfit! www.NatalyasCloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm one of the crazies who would stand in line for Georgetown Cupcakes. I love cupcakes and they know how to make them exactly how I like them and the flavors are the best.
    I wish I would have known you were here, it would have been great to meet in person, but I'm glad you had some fun in my hometown. :)
    I don't mind a road trip, but not if it's over 4 or 5 hours to get there. That's entering the we might as well fly territory. I only make an exception for NYC though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot, if I had known you were in DC, I would have brought extra luggage so I can ransack your purse collection, haha.

      Delete
  14. Fun pics! I live just a few blocks from your third photo (with the flags). Georgetown Cupcakes does not live up to the hype - next time, try Baked and Wired!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ah- this looks like a pretty decent road trip! Great pictures! I like a road trip in theory, but the only one I ever do is a killer 12 hour non-stop marathon to the east coast every summer and it just ain't fun! I also feel guilty that I don't drive so all the stress is on my poor lad! and that's coming up next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done cross-country drives a few times just moving, and yes, that is not relaxing fun!

      Delete
  16. Love road trips! My husband and I have taken quite a few and even road tripped up to New England for our honeymoon. I think the trick to a great road trip (besides excellent companions and music) is planning plenty of stops at even intervals; it gives you something to look forward to every few hours and makes it feel more like vacation than driving all day long.

    Your DC trip looks like a blast! I must say, the free museums are one of my absolute favorite things about DC. I could spend days wandering around the museums and the mall area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pit stops during road trips - you've probably never met someone more excited about giant highway travel centers than I am. I totally wish we could have had longer in DC to check out more of the museums.

      Delete
  17. Whenever my fam went on a road trip to visit my grandparents we always stopped at Craker Barrel! I haven't been there in years though... Thanks for stopping by my blog! I was looking through your posts and you have so many cute dresses including this one. Love it! Following you now :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cracker Barrel is awesome - I almost always get some combo of the house salad with ranch or dumplings.

      Delete
  18. What a fun trip. I love it when getting there is a vacation in itself, but it depends on who you're stuck in the vehicle with for hours and hours and hours ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. At least little nephew was occupied with his Ipad or napping for most of the way home, haha.

      Delete
  19. Nice pix of your trip. Used to love road trips, haven't gone on one in a loooong while. Not sure if I still have the patience:p... Love your Toms!

    ReplyDelete
  20. lovely pictures! my bro lives in dc , i love that city :D and cracker barrel is the besttt

    -Jessica
    http://www.jumpintopuddles.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute dress! Love the little shrug jacket. I know all about the heat (I'm in Louisiana) but luckily it hasn't been that bad this year.

    Amy



    Fashion and Beauty Finds

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a pretty dress on you! xo

    http://allthingsprettyandlittle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. hey lisa! your road trip looks awesome. i love them if the weather is ok and the right people tag a long. with flying the way it is nowadays, it seems less chaotic. haha plus you get to see things you normally wouldn't. my last road trip was to Texas which wasn't far. the farthest road trip was to cincinnati. i like interstate driving. pretty dress. yep! watching the olympics to.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus you can always bring more than you need on a road trip and not be penalized!

      Delete
  24. What great photos, DC is one of my favorites. Absolutely loving your green purse. Thanks for stopping by my blog :) xo

    Alex

    www.adoredbyalex.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, Lisa- welcome to my side of the world, lol- so funny to see familiar places. We were at Kennedy Center just recently and it's on the other side of Georgetown, we could have bumped into each other.;)Yes, it's really hot here and frequent thunderstorms do not help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't count the number of times we passed the Kennedy Center. I loved Georgetown - but whew, weekend traffic is fierce!

      Delete
  26. I love road trips!! I wish I could do more of them! Even tho there are the occasional annoying things but I still love bobbing to music and watching the scenery go by! and I can't wait to watch the olympics too!! Great outfit! and lovely pics

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my fave parts is that calories don't count on road trips (in my mind, at least, haha).

      Delete
  27. such a cute dress! love love the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your color-blocking in the first picture and the beach outfit! Great pix of DC--I haven't been there in years! Yummy Cracker Barrel--the biscuits are the best!! I love roadtrips (usually)!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You look so comfy in these outfits. I am definitely one of those who always enjoy road trips. Haven't done one in a long time though. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  30. DC is probably one of my absolute favorite places in the US. So gorgeous in every way you mentioned and more! I'm all about driving and blasting music and singing along at the top of my lungs, so I looove road trips!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks like you had a wonderful road trip and you looked wonderful as well. I believe DC is my second favorite place to visit besides NY so I know you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...