15 February 2012

Inspiration or Perspiration?

I don’t know, ladies. Sometimes I feel like I am missing that all-important inner voice that tells a gal that just because it works on her, doesn’t mean it’ll work on you. Then again, I appreciate being a bit sartorially unpredictable, as I tend to easily to fall into the lap of a certain fashion uniform. However, I don’t think I am high fashion enough to be considered unpredictable in a good way most times. But I like trying new things. Though those “new things” may only be new to me.

IMG_2388

Thus what got me thinking about Inspiration or Perspiration? Inspiration because as a person who would likes to put together her ensembles in unique yet pleasing manners, I am always curious to see who or what inspires another individual - whether it be another outfit, a pair of shoes, an image, a color. Perspiration because you're going to spend the day sweating over that sometimes things may just plain look better in your head than reality. Whatever it is, I'll pull something and attempt to recreate the look with a Lisa spin to it while making it appropriate for daily consumption.

IMG_2393  IMG_2394

My effort this week is quite literal, as I saw this outfit on Atlantic-Pacific, which made my mind twirl with potential, mostly because I have some of those pieces and blogger Blair pulled the look off with that whole casual “effortless chic” thing I am all-the-time grasping at straws at.

(I may or may not still be grasping because I think I took something that looked so laidback quirky/cute and made it a little too over-done.)

Where do you tend to find most of your sartorial inspiration? Do you find it mostly from seeing what others wear, or from paintings, colors, a specific item, etc.?

IMG_2407

Dress: J.Crew maritime (worn here - sim embellished here)
Dress: Pim + Larkin polka dot belted 
Necklace: c/o Simply Livly via Etsy (worn here - sim purple here)
Tights: Anne Klein
Shoes: Seychelles via Anthropologie raines (worn here - sim here, here, pricey here, solid here)
Bracelets: Old Navy enamel / J.Crew bangle / F21 stretch (sim here, here, here)
Belt: Anthropologie skinny weave (worn here - sim here, wide here)

36 comments:

  1. I really like your polish color, very pretty and springy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! I am addicted to Sally Hansen polishes - tons of fun colors and c h e a p!

      Delete
  2. Lis, I saw that outfit too, and starred to try my own version. It DOES work on you! I actually prefer your version of it! Nicely done!

    xoxo
    www.natashafatah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your post today. I try to find inspiration in how others, store displays, catalogs put color combinations together. I've always found it difficult to define my own personal style, but I feel like every once in a while I'll have flashes of semi-brilliance. I definitely put a lot of stress on putting together outfits that are not typical of what others around me are wearing. But to be truthful, I really just want to throw on a t-shirt, yoga pants and call it a day. :)

    circa-1975.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, girl, if I could be in sweats all day, I would, haha! But if I have to get dressed, I may as well have fun at it! I literally have started taking a note pad with me so I can write down outfit ideas - ideas come out of nowhere!

      Delete
  4. cute combo! Unexpected and unpredictable!
    besos,lynn

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely post and i totally agree with it. and yes lovely take on that! yours is way better love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your version of it. It works for those girls who can't run the streets bare-legged in the middle of February.
    I get tons of inspiration from other bloggers, catalogs and runway shows. There is so many places to get inspiration from and it makes me happy to have all of that visual inspiration on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irony is that it is in the 60s today in the SE. But I totally think I would've felt weird in this look without tights!

      Delete
  7. I love the addition of tights and a chunky necklace!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the others - your take on it does work! Well done, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  9. if there's something i've been wanting to try then i look to see how others do it. but... i also have to dress for my body type - one skirt that looks good on one girl may not look so great on me!

    laurafornerphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I have to remind myself all the time that I won't look as good in that so-and-so as the 5'10" size 0 model! ;o)

      Delete
  10. Lovely outfit. I like how you layer. I mostly got inspirations from magazines and fellow bloggers. However, I have made mistakes of getting ideas and put them on myself. Work on others may not work for me. So I always have to try them on myself and make sure I'm comfortable with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you ladies should see all the outfit fails I have. I should try documenting them and we can all have a good laugh!

      Delete
  11. I think you pulled off the outfit with a bit of a you twist :) I get inspired by what I see on other blogs and people I see on the streets :)

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I love street style blog too - lazy me, haha!

      Delete
  12. I get ideas from other bloggers most of the time. I do really like this, the layering, the pattern mixing, the black and brown. I think you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! In lieu of super-warm sweaters, I'm all over the layering this winter!

      Delete
  13. I'm usually drawn to what others wear. Through them, I find that I have a lot of pieces in my closet that can be worn in an entirely different way.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for style blogs, such an inspiration for me for ideas!

      Delete
  14. This looks great on you! I'm usually inspired by stores like J.Crew and Anthropologie for pieces, but love using art as inspiration for colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cute is this outfit Lisa!! It looks like something that could be used in a catalog!!Btw I loved the Valentine pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it looks great! I also like that your version of the a-p look has polish and dressiness that makes it office appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like your take on this look! The necklace and belt are well chosen. :) Blogs are my main source of inspiration, but I like people-watching as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great inspiration! I love your dressed up version of the look :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. so cool Lisa!! You did a great job (as always) being unique/quirky but still beautiful and classy. I love your version!!

    I'm all over the place with inspiration...I usually get inspired by clothes themselves and then look to magazines/blogs to make sense of it. For example...I love my striped knit sweater dress I got two years ago--when I saw it I thought "preppy, cozy, a little unexpected" but I haven't been able to figure out how to wear it. Now I see one on you, layered over a shirt dress and it makes more sense. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i likee this!! :) youre prettyy <3
    i always wear the samee type of clothees haha im a bit boring

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like this a lot! Office appropriate and oh so stylish with the tights and heels but I could see it working with bare legs and flats or sandals too (more like Atlantic-Pacific's original). Very cute. Now to find a cute striped dress...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...