22 February 2012

Catching Up to Myself

I do pretty well at blathering on and on about stuff endlessly on my posts, and that's how I am in person too - quiet if you don't know me, chatterbox once you do. What I think I lack is following back up with you ladies regarding things I've vented about previously. I think I drop loads of whine and no resolutions. So please consider this a bit of a hold me accountable catch-up post for you all:

IMG_2486

My retinol experience
Despite the face-on-fire burning sensation and crinkled red texture of my face for a few days, I can now grin, bear it, and will actually give retinol a thumbs up. Since it didn't kill me, I honestly think it has improved my complexion. However, take my red face as a example and heed these items if you plan on purchasing any retinol serums in the future (combined mix of advice from other retinol "victims", fashion mags, product reviews:

•  Do not exfoliate and retinol on the same days. In fact, don't exfoliate or retinol daily unless your derm has told you otherwise.
•  After applying retinol, wait at least 10 minutes for the product to absorb before putting on your moisturizer and regular products. Retinol and oil-based cosmetics no likey.
•  Definitely use SPF during the day.
•  If you feel your face burning after you apply retinol, it doesn't mean it's working. Burning means hurt. Hurt bad.

My health and diet
I'm currently using the MyFitnessPal app and though I know there are a ton of variables with calorie counters, it has proven to be a great guide so far in helping me manage my daily calories and track my workouts. Oh, I already had two donuts for breakfast? Probably shouldn't also have this piece of pie for dessert ... but it's only 200 calories ...

IMG_2490  IMG_2523

My mid-winter rut
To beat the lack of finding interest in anything, BF and I have agreed on a date activity at least once a week. We didn't want to setup a specific night or activity in case we end up feeling like we "have" to do it. The activity can be anything big or small - it is mostly a reminder for us to try new things.

Last weekend, we drove about an hour away (an hour because we got lost - this is what happens when BF thinks he's smarter than the GPS) and went to Marietta Diner which we heard about from Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives - I know for late lunch/early dinner, then right across the street to Krispy Kreme for dessert. It was not a big deal by any means, but it was food baby bliss, and out of the way enough to be considered activity-worthy.

BF and I have also agreed that when we see some cool activity or event come up on LivingGroupSocialOn, we just go ahead and buy the tickets and not hem and haw about what our schedules may be like - because of course we're not busy, we didn't buy the tickets!

My mice situation
Remember when I went eye-to-eye with my own little furry nemesis? And then kind of went "aww ..." No-kill traps purchased. Way more trips to non-descript field a few miles from the house made than we'd like to admit. Mice seem to have gotten the point and realized I will not be sewing them teeny tiny clothes this winter.

Do you find yourself always having to catch-up with yourself? How do you keep yourself honest with the stuff you mention to your friends or on your blog?

IMG_2513

Cardigan: J.Crew factory ocelot (worn here - sim, sim)
Top: J.Crew vintage cotton (worn here - sim)
Skirt: Limited high-waist (worn here - sim, sim)
Necklace: c/o JewelMint (worn here - sim, pricey)
Bracelets: Asos pyramid stretch, F21, Overstock (sim, sim, sim)
Shoes: Nine West temani (worn here - sim, cas peep, loafers)

46 comments:

  1. I just started using Spark People to track my calories and work outs. I find it to be a bit bulky. I like the idea of having an app for my phone. I might be more inclined to use it. Especially when I go out to eat and just throw the whole diet concept out the window.

    Tara
    Penniless Socialite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cool thing to me about MyFitnessPal is that you can log into your app or online. It is a bit clunky to use but it has helped keep me honest!

      Delete
  2. This outfit is so fun with the animal print AND monochromatic color blocking! The hubby and I have a date night once a week where we go out, even if it's to our little hole in the wall place. And glad your mice problem went away! I had THE worst mice (well, sometimes rat) problem when I lived in NYC thanks to construction in the building next door. So glad I live in a rodent free apartment now :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, lady, I remember the NYC rats! The ones that lived in the subways are seriously cat size - you don't want to mess with them!

      Delete
  3. My boyfriend and I try to do regular date nights, too - even if it's just going out to a casual dinner on a Saturday night, we plan it out a day or two in advanced and I straighten my hair. It makes it seem fancier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Usually we're just like "wanna grab a bite?" or something. Actually having to trek to somewhere or trying some place new or doing something a bit out of the ordinary makes it feel more special!

      Delete
  4. Love the colors in this outfit! Well done! May give the retinol a try...not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the colorblocking Lisa! And I'm glad the mice got the hint :)
    www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their rent was due and they couldn't pay up, so I had to evict them!

      Delete
  6. Looking gorgeous, as always!

    http://bestdressedinthenest.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. You look awesome in this outfit. Love the pink and red!
    2. Mice? ACK!
    3. I really only go into details on something when friends ask me for updates and stuff. Otherwise...I just forget. I'm lame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want your skirt. How do I not already own a red skirt? It's beautiful.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa, thanks for your updates. I read your original post about the burning face experience and cringed while reading it. It sounds like you had a very painful experience! I am going to be posting shortly about the danger of too much exfoliating (both mechanical and chemical, in your case, using the Olay brush and retinol as your chemical exfoliant) - it's a post I have been planning to do for a while but I have been caught up with work/school/caring for the kids and trying to deal with intense stress & exhaustion. Anyway, glad to hear your skin is better now. And regular date nights are a great thing. I would love to have a date night with my husband, but there's no one around right now who can babysit the kids.

    ps. Love the pairing of pink and red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lady, I wish I could have read that post Before I got carried away with myself, haha!

      Delete
  10. loving the red with the pink, with the added "rawr!" from the leopard :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look wonderful, I adore the colourblocking in the red and pink and the leopard cardigan is adorable <3
    http://cupcakesandtreacle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa, I love this post. Life gets busy and sometimes we get all up in it and forget the things that have happened so it is a nice way to catch up with your life not just for your readers but for you as well.
    Also, you are such a knockout in this outfit! I love it! Totally my fave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I totally have a tendency to blab and blab about stuff and it goes out of my mouth and disappears into the ether!

      Delete
  13. Ouch! That red face sounds painful!

    I love your red skirt and shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not fun - like a concentrate sunburn x10!

      Delete
  14. Thanks for introducing the app. Was just talking to a friend yest about calorie counting haha - this app will make it easier :) Loving the red and pink!

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good and bad thing about this app is that there are soooooooo many choices for each food - it's good to be as specific as possible when entering in your items!

      Delete
  15. Yay to the no-kill method...good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have the heart to exterminate them, but it was not a fun ride whenever we had to load some of those traps into the car and ride them out to the field. I kept have visions of the mice breaking loose mid-drive and jacking our ride, haha!

      Delete
  16. I totally might have to copy this outfit...love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet you would knock this color combo out of the park with your gorgeous blonde locks!

      Delete
  17. you look very pretty

    http://sienastyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha, I was just going to say the same thing as Tara and have to copy this too. Pink and red? I've never combined those two colours in my life. There's a first time for everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm looking for any excuse to wear bright neon pink this time of year. I think I have a slight addiction to this color!

      Delete
  19. maybe the mice are just afeared of that awesome ocelot cardigan! Thanks for the update- I totally never think to do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could have just called a modern day Peter Piper (is that the right name?) and he could have just put his special mouse mix on his Ipod and boogied them all out of the house at the same time. Go happy!

      Delete
  20. This was a fun post. I like that you took time to tell us how things worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's funny Lisa, I have wondered about the outcome of some of your posts but I figured that, much like myself, some circumstances work themselves out (and some never do). Lol Had totally forgot 'bout the mouse situation though...well done there! I can't stand to hear of any animal suffering. On to your outfit....Adore that skirt! Recent?....two years old....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skirt is a few months (?) old so it's no longer available - but it looks like The Limited brought back the same style in a bright blue: http://www.thelimited.com/detail/high-waist-pencil-skirt/7123299. I assume the fit is still the same?

      Delete
  22. Thanks for the updates Lisa...this was a great idea. I've often wondered how things turned out for you, but I figure you would let us know one day. I really like your outfit today and I finally found an ocelot sweater similar in color to yours, but it's not a cardigan though. I'm going to check out the MyFitnessPal app later tonight. I use the Lose It! app now and I'm pretty happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the updates, I haven't heard some of these stories so it feels good to catch-up. I have MyFitnessPal on my phone and Ipod but no such luck in staying healthy..lol I absolutely love this outfit especially the red skirt with the pink tank!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it takes away my excuses to not log what I eat because it's so convenient and it helps me get a better feel for what the nutrition is in some of my fave foods - a lot of items were eye openers! Now I never said I followed my recommended caloric intake all the time though ... ;o)

      Delete
  24. I've only caught the recaps, summaries, but I'm so glad your face healed. It's scary when you're in the middle of a beauty fiasco, hoping things will return to normal. Even if it's the same thing you were trying to 'cure.' When you said Krispy Kreme I was reminded of that crazy milkshake you posted!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. love the pink and red!

    http://forallthatjas.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great colors and love the ocelot cardigan! :) I enjoyed the recap -- glad your skin is recovered. Also happy to hear about the success of your rodent relocation project. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the colors together (red and pink my fav colors!) and date night is a must. Mice situation - hope you catch those suckers, I dealt with it a bit when we lived in NY, horrible!

    Red Soles and Red Wine

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's cool that you do a date activity once a week. I feel that's so important. It keeps things interesting and fresh. Not the same ole same ole. Cute outfit!
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG!!!! this outfit was hot like fiyah!! i love it so much! i want ti all!!!
    ---
    http://blog.ubaraphoto.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...