27 December 2011

Luck of the Draw: Meet the Parents

It was New Year's Eve a few years ago when I was introduced to BF's family for the first time. I was already nervous for many reasons - BF confided that I was the second girl he's ever brought home to his family, he's incredibly close to his mother so her opinion mattered a lot, I knew nothing about social graces, and - this is not fair at all - but BF's fam grew up in the rural TN and I am very evidently ... not from TN, so I was fearful that I'd be treated differently. These were the nervous thoughts swirling through my head.

IMG_0585

Once we were through the front door of BF's mom's imposing house - big white house up on a hill, ablazen with seeming a million holiday twinkles - I was immediately whisked into a flurry of introductions. Seems the family was having a party so all friends and extended family were also in attendance. I was getting to meet everyone all at once.

BF's mom surprised me by greeting me with her I-didn't-know-it-at-the-time trademark teethy red lipped laugh and open-armed embrace. BF's mom is like ... think of Paula Deen, but brunette with a penchant for online trading, blingy baubles and fast Cadillacs. I liked her immediately.

BF's stepdad - who is like 6'6" and a few entire human sizes larger than I - followed suit with another bear hug. Then came the cousins, the friends, the neighbors, the aunts, uncles ... it was a swirl of faces, floating names, southern twangs, hugs, welcomes, cocktails, smoke, fried chicken.

IMG_0577  IMG_0563

At one point near midnight I recall sitting down at a card table with BF, his mom and her friends with wine and blackjack. Almost everyone else was smoking. It was all a haze - the literal cloud hanging over me. My head was throbbing. I think when the clock finally struck midnight - was there ever a longer night, it seemed - I was slouched on the couch watching Dick Clark with the partied out kids.

It was overwhelming, confusing, relieving. I survived meeting the parents. I think they even liked me a little.

Now this doesn't qualify as my craziest, most fantastical New Year's Eve ever! but it certainly was the most important in my life. And I couldn't help but to think back on it as we approach the conclusion to another year and the unwrapping of a brand new fresh one.

What has been your best NYE story so far? And if you're in a sharing mood, how was it when you first met your honey's parents/family?

IMG_0597

Dress: Asos sweater shift (worn here - sim sleeveless here, longer here)
Shirt: J.Crew solid perfect (sim 3/4-sleeve here)
Tights: Anne Klein
Bracelets: F21 / J.Crew (sim pricey here, here)
Ring: Banana Republic (sim here)
Boots: Type Z (worn here - sim here, luxe here)

25 comments:

  1. I like the pattern on the dress and the green peaking out! When I met the in-law's the first time it was great! After meeting them my hubby took me downstairs to show me the house and I fell and slid all the way down the stair case. It was awful but I am pretty good at laughing at myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your dress! So cute. Love your story telling

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your dress! So cute. Love your story telling

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your dress! So cute. Love your story telling

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for all the posts. Getting used to bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your dress! So cute. Love your story telling

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your dress! So cute. Love your story telling

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable dress! My SIL meet the fam at my wedding when she was just dating my bro. She had a huge headache from trying to keep up with this crazy Italian American family. She is from Japan & fit in perfectly. Cheers to another NYE w/your BF.

    ReplyDelete
  11. first of, I love that dress!
    As far as the most memorable NYE I can remember it has to be 2007 when my whole family(including aunt, uncle, cousins)and I went to the beach and rented this tiny apartment to just spend the night in. We went to the rooftop before midnight to watch the 40 minute long fireworks by the bay and have cocktails and after that the young crowd partied outside the building with everyone else. In "Valparaiso" they have music through out the whole town for NYE and every one just parties on the street until the morning so it was just tons of fun! What sucked was driving back to the city the next day but it was worth it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that dress on you - Ive been looking for a similar sweater dress - do you mind sharing sizing?
    My DH didn't warn me that I was meeting the family. Date 2 or 3 (!!), he asked me if I wanted to go see a college hockey game that his cousin was playing in... but failed to mentioned that the rest of the whole (crazy Italian) clan were going to be there! We walked in a few minutes late and there was everyone from my MIL to grandparents to aunts and uncles lined up in the bleachers. I nervously sat down only to have his grandparents keep whispering in Italian and looking back at me and his mom yelling at them to be quiet. Quite un-nerving! Its a good thing that he's a great guy and I let that one fly! I (years) later found out that they were just saying how much they thought I looked like someone.. nothing bad at all. I now joke w/ all my in-laws that they all scarred me from that night :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meeting the parents is always nerve wrecking. I remember the first time I met Matt's parents I was so extremely nervous. He brought me home for Christmas in Hawaii and I was spending a whole 2 weeks there. I remember being a mess trying to make the right first impression, but now looking back at it - it shouldn't have been that stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE LOVE LOVE this sweater dress on you!!! Perfection. Hope you had a happy holiday lady.
    C

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun dress! And meeting the parents is always an interesting situation lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haha, that actually sounds pretty wonderful! I would love to be part of a Southern family, mainly because I am so not anything like that but I really love the warmth of it. I am usually pretty lo key on New Years. Oh, and as for meeting hubby's parents....we were 17, had just started dating, and I got so drunk I was vomiting in their house and I woke them up. Um, not the best first impression :)
    www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your gorgeous dress with the green shirt. Meeting with the parents could be nerve-wrecking. But I was lucky enough that they are extremely easy-going and made me feel right at home.

    http://mui28.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember I never wanted to hang out at my husband's house when we were first dating. I'm always really shy and awkward around people I don't know and I wanted to postpone that awkwardness as long as possible. But one day he convinced me to hang out at his house, citing that no one would be home and we could just watch TV. But lo and behold, within an hour people started coming home. His father, brother-in-law, sisters mother and aunt all showed up within 5 minutes, all coming home from work or school. It was the most awkward moment in my life I was scared stiff! But it all ended well because they were welcoming.

    I love the pop of color among the black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on surviving the first meeting with your future in-laws!! I totally remember how nerve wracking it was meeting the in-laws for the first time. Your boyfriends family sound like such fun to be around. I bet they loved you!! Your dress is super cute with the green blouse!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anon - I got this dress in a regular size 4 ( I am typically a regular US2 but usually size up one for Euro brands likes Asos or Zara). Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great photos. Here on http://www.patriciaiacob.com/2011/12/giveaway/ I have a present for you a Hermes Bracelet Collier de Chien.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounds like you handled the situation perfectly -- meeting the family can be indeed be nerve-wrecking. Meeting my BF's family wasn't too bad for me since they were extremely welcoming. But I was a bit overwhelmed the first time I came to stay at their house. His mother has perfect decorating sense and she had also set out an elaborate buffet spread (at 12 midnight, when we arrived) to make sure we had something to "munch" on when we arrived. I thought I was staying with Martha Stewart's family!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so close to purchasing that dress! Adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't realize BF was from TN! Congrats on snagging a Southern man - they're the best!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...