02 November 2011

Acting My Age

Like I don’t know what I did with my free time before blogging, I don’t know how I scanned the web for interesting things before Pinterest (is that a sign that I spend way too much time perusing the “everything” tab?) But on one of my daily online meanderings, I can across a quote that really stuck with me:

How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?

IMG_9066

Anal-retentive type-A personality aside, I would like to think that my answer to that question would be in the 10-12 range for age. It seems like a good area. You’re still really just a kid and can be forgiven for being wacky and childish, but you’re old enough to understand most things and to be trusted with some responsibility. Mostly I think 10-12 is good for me because that’s about where my maturity level topped off, and I still can’t get over that I am an adult now and continue to think of things in “when I grow up” terms.

And because I still do a ton of things now that I did way back when in elementary school: I love eating potato chip sandwiches on squishy white bread. When I am in bed, I must be covered in some way regardless of how hot it is – partly so when I get scared, I can throw the covers over my head. Before the pup, I had a stuffed sheep named Sheep that lived on the bed (Sheep now resides in the closet for his own safety). I still feel like putting on lipstick is playing dress-up. I wear hair ties on my wrist as bracelets, except the ones I wear now aren’t giant scrunchies! I deep down tell-no-one still big puffy heart NKOTB. I wear the adult version of childhood sleepwear – big baggy pajama bottoms with monkeys or hearts or stars on them (stuff that no one publicly ever sees me in unless you consider the poor suckers who bypass me while I am out walking the dog at o-dark-thirty).

IMG_9089 IMG_9084

Plus, as much as I like seeing other people's drama - hi there, every-show-on-Bravo-TV - I don't like drama of my own, and wasn't life just so much simpler back in the day? Poster board class projects, deciding who to share your Fruit Roll-Ups with during lunch, and trying to squeeze five more minutes of outdoor play time before dinner seemed like the most trying issues I had.

So what about you? How old would you be if you could be any age? How old do you feel now? And do you still do any "kid things" in your adulthood?

★   ★   ★   ★

BTW, I am guest posting today on Skippy Says – Skippy's got a ton of personal style and a million-watt smile to match her gorgeous curly locks.  You can check it out here! 

BTW x2, I may be in and out of blogee land for the rest of this week and the next. More business traveling ensues – here’s hoping I can continue to keep that cold that has been wanting to sneak up on me for weeks now at bay for a bit longer!

IMG_9100

IMG_9107

Top: Lands' End Canvas gingham poplin (worn here - sim here, here)
Sweater: J.Crew cambridge crewneck (sim here, zip here)
Skirt: Talbots washed silk (worn here - sim here, midi here)
Necklace: Anthropologie nueva granada (worn here - sim here, here)
Bracelets: T+J Designs neon / F21 studded (sim here, pave here)
Shoes: Sam Edelman adena
Lips: L'Oreal color riche in british red (applied lightly)

22 comments:

  1. Agreed! Life was much simpler as a child. Sometimes I wish I could pull a Freaky Friday on my daughter and change places with her.
    I just may never change back....

    P.S. Safe travels, and Fritos are delicious on most sandwiches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I'm totally jealous of your fab S.E. shoes. The spikiness is awesome.
    This is such an interesting question and I'm a bit hard pressed to really pick an age because I feel like the best is yet to come, but if I did it would either be 5 because life was just about fun then or 18 when I headed off to college because it was such a new time where the world was at my feet and I had some freedom away from the mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love your shoes esp the spiky part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving your outfit posts and was over at Skippy Says and got to say the maxi skirt outfit looks amazing on you!

    The preppy outfit here looks great too and the shoes are fabulous!!

    Red Soles and Red Wine

    ReplyDelete
  5. If what I read is any indication I am a twelve year old boy. Admitting it is the first step, right?

    Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
    I'm having a giveaway...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know what- a twelve year old boy is better than a 15 year old one. Totally different issues. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Lisa! I learned about your blog from Skippy. Great post and I'm loving this one. I am such a big kid. Despite having perfectionist tendencies, I despise stress, believe in minimalism, love to have FUN, and always try to encourage others. I think I'm stuck in my teen years. However, I have the knowledge of an 80 year old. LOL I love to curl up with a light blanket whenever I'm sitting or watching something. I've always been that way. Are those Kate Spade shoes in your header? I just did a post on those sparkler's. Love your gingham shirt and your loafers are so cute. I'm Kim! Just wanted to introduce myself. Hope you're having a great day.
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Liking your gingham shirt! I was so happy when my mom bought a pink gingham shirt because that means I can borrow it. :)
    Hmm ... I am also one of those people who can't fall asleep without some kind of covering. I watch Muppet Show and Sesame Street snippets on Youtube to cheer myself up. And I still enjoy Pop-Tarts (not sure why mom let us eat those sugar bombs when she was such a vigilante about soda). If I had to pick an age, it'd be 9.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love your jewelry and those shoes are awesome!! And your posts always make me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think for the most part I refer to myself as being an old lady - I complain about my decrepit old body aching, I stay in on the weekends and watch my stories, and I like to wear lots of bright colors together and throw on piles of costume jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i always thought i was one of those people who kinda grew up too fast. i've been told that i have an old soul but... i donno. i think my late twenties are so awesome - there's nothing really to tie us down or stop us from being spontaneous (okay, except maybe the furkids).

    but there are some days that i feel old, like when i'm exhausted at 9PM on a friday and would rather go to bed than hit the bars.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure I'd be a lot younger than I actually am lol...love your layered look here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, Lisa, thank you so much for your sweet words! And for guest posting- it's so wonderful to leave my little bloggie in your wonderful hands for the day :)

    Also, I can't tell you how much I relate to basically everything in this post:
    Anal-retentive type-A personality- check
    I still can’t get over that I am an adult now and continue to think of things in “when I grow up” terms- check
    I love eating potato chip sandwiches on squishy white bread- check
    When I am in bed, I must be covered in some way regardless of how hot it is – check
    I still feel like putting on lipstick is playing dress-up- check
    I wear hair ties on my wrist as bracelets, except the ones I wear now aren’t giant scrunchies!- check
    I wear the adult version of childhood sleepwear- check
    I was nodding my head vigorously while reading this whole post :)
    www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. those shoes are super RAD! and i think i'm about five...and totally okay with this! :)


    dash dot dotty

    ReplyDelete
  15. Found your blog from SkippySays. Great guest post!! Loved both of your outfits.

    I'm right there with you on being covered up in bed. I have to have the sheets up to my neck just in case too! ;)

    Nice to meet you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooohhh....Did you get engaged???

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those shoes are fierce...love them!

    I wish I were 27 because that's about how old I feel (except for all the aches and pains I sometimes get during yoga!). I kind of wish I knew then what I think I know now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love your whole outfit especially the shoes.

    I think people would think I'm super old since I'm obsessed with vintage things.

    -Ly
    http://www.lyzhang.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG! I want these shoes!!!
    If I didn't know how old I was I would guess that I was 55!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this post - I guess I'm still a kid too! Whenever people ask my age, I have to stop and think for a minute before answering because the number I have to say just doesn't seem quite right. I'm also very impressed you've started embracing the red lip - I'm still stuck in the "it feels like dress-up" stage...

    ReplyDelete
  21. i totally can't remember what i did with my free time before i started my blog -- i probably wandered aimlessly, walking around the house looking for something to do, haha! and how did i ever find cute stuff before pinterest? yeah i didn't. ;)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome photos and really nice outfit, you look great, I love your skirt, what a great color and that sweeter is so nice, the perfect touch to the outfit; your shoes also rock, you are really cute! Your blog is awesome by the way and I am a new follower! Hope you will like my blog and follow back!

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...