26 August 2011

Teddie Graham Crumbles

(I know I don't really ever do reviews, but consider this more of a heads up PSA).

Oh J.Crew, I love your current fall lineup of lovelies, but why do your online photos sometimes fall so far from the reality tree? You know how we fashion-loving gals look for "the perfect shade" of something and how going a bit darker or lighter could make or break our little wishful hearts. And you also know how some of gals either don't live near a store or wear special sizes so they need to order their pieces online and can't go eyeball them in real life. Or need to wear special sizes and are also too darn lazy to trek to the mall because they literally can't ever find the pieces they are looking for when they get in-store. Seriously. Every time.

I've had a recent succession of personal Crew color fails for me (Jardin skirt in dusty clay - too dark, Hacking jacket in midnight ocean - too pale) so I was keeping my fingers crossed about the new Teddie dress. I originally was dying over the decadent red but finally decided on saddle because I thought it would be a gorge neutral to easily be able to dress up and play off some of my more colorful pieces.

So you notice what a pretty pale camel/tan color this dress looks like online:


And then reality and blah-dom hits:


Other than the color, what do I think? Thanks to some good advice from other JCAs, I ordered a regular size instead of petite and on my 5' 2" frame, this a work-appropriate length (so I think you regular-height gals may be borderline on the length area). I also wished I had BF handy when I was trying on the dress, considering I had a heck of a time getting that back zipper all the way up - what the heck would I do if I were on a biz trip and needed to get dressed in a hurry? Also, I'm not particularly well-endowed up top but this dress "just" fit me in the chest area - so some of you gals may need to size up to accomodate "the girls," as the material doesn't really stretch. Lastly, the sleeves seem strange on me - not sure if they're too long on me or what, but they just don't look right.



Believe me, I really really wanted this to be the perfect dress-as-suit piece that would be so easy yet polished. Unfortunately the Teddie just didn't work for me. Third fall fail, Crew. I'm not even going to try it in the decadent red color now. (But if you do want to see it in the red and as a successeful buy, check the Teddie dress get rocked on Dina).

But on to better things - what have you gals purchased from J. Crew's fall collection that are drool-worthy?

28 comments:

  1. I like it, but I don't LOVE it. The shape is good, but color is off. Try the red?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love ya, Lisa, but that dress leaves much to be desired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color is SO disappointing. How blah. Thanks for the review... but wow... total fail, J.Crew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sad. So glad to know about that HUGE color fail. Boo!

    I think you have the need for petite sleeves and regular length. AGH! Maybe you could try the regular in red and if you are a LOVETH, then maybe shorten the sleeves a bit?

    I have no clue if the red will sell out, but my guess right now is no. If I wasn't planning on wearing it soon, I would hold if for the sixty days, return and the re-order.

    Oh, and thanks for the link love. SWAK! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same experience with the Winnie Dress, it went back today. Not lined and the color seemed faded in the places that it had been folded, like it had discolored from being stored in plastic too long. Sadness, everything I bought has been a fail so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just received my red teddie dress today. I'm petite, 5 2 and normally a 0 or 00 and the 00 was too tight in the chest area. I felt the style was too blah for the price. I would definitely consider on the 2nd markdown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is still a very nice dress and dressing it up with the red shoes was a great idea. I might even do a leopard print belt, or a busy scarf with it.

    And the sleeves are 'bracelet' sleeves -- the JC way of telling us this is a new trend in order to cut costs. :)

    I ordered the merino pencil skirt in the heather saddle. Maybe in a couple of weeks I will get the skirt you see here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i've been lusting after their schoolboy blazer but i saw one at gap that was thicker and for 118 - but it wasn't completely wool. so i'm torn on that.

    i did pick up a sweater and blouse from the recent sale!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe that's the regular length. Although, this may be a dress when you really need to get the right size. A petite might actually work better, provided it's not much shorter. But then you'd have to let out the hem. Plus the tough-to-zipper issue. It's kind of a lot of work for something that should be an easy classic. $.02

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the dress itself looks very good on you - your figure looks great in it. But I have to agree with you, the colour is a little blah. Finding the right shade of camel is so difficult. What about the red or the black versions?

    ReplyDelete
  11. They did a total switcheroo on you! The color on the mannequin looks so pretty and the real life the color is not as appealing. And I agree with you on the sleeves, it's a bit long. And I totally know how you feel about not wanting to bother going to an actual store because it always seems like they never carry of the same items as online.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think the sleeves are too long, but I do think that they're too WIDE. 3/4 length sleeves just look frumpy if they bell out at the opening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh, I didn't think anything could look bad on you, but this is just not a good dress! I definitely don't like that color - on anyone!

    I am really adoring all their bright skirts and pants but am too cheap to buy anything full price :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bummer! I have had very similar experiences with J. Crew. I LOVE their basics, but otherwise it's hit or miss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The red might work better...I agree, the color is off

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh boy the colour is so drab but the dress looks wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the review. I nearly bought that dress but thought the fit might be off. It looks great on you but IMO it's a Crewlade dress -- if it wasn't J Crew, it might not get much notice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The dress is cute on you, and I think you wear statement necklaces, colorful blazers, bright shoes, etc. with it; however, I agree that the color is a little drab. If only it were that tan color in the stock photo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That picture and shape looks so gorgeous, but it is such a disappointment!

    I hate it when things turn out like that.

    seven-percentsolution.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't found anything drool worthy in person lately. I've been somewhat disappointed in all of the stores. I feel like I'm getting a lower quality prodcut with a higher pricetag (:.

    The dress in the photo online was a lovely color

    ReplyDelete
  21. JC's color matching abilities are terrible! I think I would like it more if it was closer to the saddle color in the JC photograph. I say if you don't love it send it back. Total fail on JC's part.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like J. Crew, but damn the dress you got is so different from the website one! I'm so sorry girl, but if it makes you feel better I still think it looks good on you! :]

    p.s. You should try the HANA shine shield serum!

    XoXo, Bree
    http://vivalabreee.blogspot.com/
    Tweet me: Viva_La_Breee
    International Giveaway Pura Vida Bracelets

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lisa! Thanks so much for the birthday wishes :)
    Boo on the Teddie dress! But thank you so much for sharing your IRL pictures. I would have been totally washed out in this color but the quality is comparable to similar dresses that are currently being sold at H&M and Zara so maybe try there? (I even think the H&M one has a better fit/cut!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've had similar experiences with on-line shopping too :( I love the red shoes and beige dress combo but I agree the color on the website is mis-leading.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The online version is always going to look brighter then the one sent out. That really sucks sometimes!!

    I like the style and cut on you, but think the red would be much better. Plus you always wear bright colors well!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, the color is really off. I've given up on JC. I think it just doesn't work on (my?) Asian proportions (or something).

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like it, but you're right - the color isn't right. The camel color would have been so much better

    http://www.stylish3.com/marylane

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fabulous review! I'm really sad cause I don't think the Teddie is working out for anyone really. It was definitely apart of my fall wishlist along with the symphony coat and vintage tweed blazer in mustard. Now I'm in the talks with my mom (aka super sewing lady) about making both coats! I'm really enjoying your blog - you post great photos, lovely poses :)

    Your newest follower :D
    Tasia
    http://rufflesandsequins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...