26 May 2011

Sleeper Style

I had someone ask me a few weeks ago to describe my sense of style. And with that question, the usual blathering outpouring that comes from my lips came to an abrupt halt. I think my brows wrinkled in concentration and my eyes squirted off into looking at something non-descript in the distance.

I blabbed out a jumble of adjectives and changed subject to discuss things I have way more know-how with - cold cuts and Christian Bale (whoops, THE Christian Bale). And granted it was no life-changing deep-rooted question by any means, I did get to thinking more about my style.

What do I think my sense of style is? I know what I would like it to be - classic, timeless, chic. Hint of edge. I want clothes and accessories that defy "labels" (as much as I do love you, Anthro and Crew, I don't want to be head-to-toe anything - I would like to be the _____ girl, not the Anthro or Crew girl).

Where am I now? I still think I'm evolving sartorially and I'm not sure if where I am now is where I want to be. I think if you scroll back through my past outfits (and this will take a while, I document myself well apparently), you will definitely see style evolving - but into what, I'm not sure. I'm honestly not sure what a "Lisa look" is, though I know what kind of pieces I am drawn to.

I've always considered "getting dressed" a little to be like "playing dress up" so if I really truly think about it - am I dressing me or am I clothing my body? And then what does it come across like? Eclectic? Conservative? Frilly? Obnoxiously loud? Pattern-blind? Caroline Manzo, YOU can call ME a clown if you want to.

So I am asking for a wee bit of blogee input - how would you describe my sense of style? And even better yet now, how would you describe your own?

♠   ♠   ♠   ♠

I already posted my Saturday outfit - here's me last Sunday (aka dressed up jammies, aka Lisa no-pants):

IMG_4616

IMG_4619  IMG_4593

IMG_4623

Dress: Anthropologie Splendid cargo pocket chemise
Necklace: UO multi-stone bib (worn here before - similar here)
Bag: Rebecca Minkoff navajo studs (worn here before)
Bracelet: The PS Boutique via Etsy (worn here before)
Shoes: Mossimo via Target wakana (worn here before - similar here)

I'm still having Blogger comment issues, so I've been visiting your blogs, but I haven't been able to comment on most of them! I am still getting caught up in the endless glitch cycle of login / comment / login / comment / etc. Please fix it already, Blogger! Argh!

29 comments:

  1. I think I till go with Classic Funk for you. (I'm newly obsessed with the TV HGTV show Secrets of a Stylist and the host always makes up styles with 2 words.) My style I don't know. I know what I like and don't like but then I'm always thrown by what some people think my style is. I have a idea of how I want my style to be and I am finally trying to bring it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice jammies,lol. I love the purse, its edgy.
    besos,lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dress looks so comfy, Lisa. I am in love with your RM bag. It's so gorgeous :) Great look as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question. I would like to say you are a good blend of styles. I think the same about me. Sometimes I am office appropriate (most of the time, since I do have to go to work), but sometimes I am more casual. Either way, whatever your style, you always are adorable. Why label it? I think Lisa Style is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dress - looks stylish and comfy.

    I don't like putting labels on style - it can change from day to day, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So blogger is having a glitch, i was wondering why that was happening! lol i don't like labels either, I kinda just buy whatever I like not caring if it's a $5 tee from target or a no name brand shoes.. but I love your name brand bag! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I know is that I want whatever style it is that you have. You always look stylish and interesting and effortless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lisa. I feel like I haven't read your blog in sooo long! My brain is fried, I can't really think right now but all I know is that I like your style (whatever it is) and I really like these shoes.

    Lisa
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that bag.
    I also love THE Christian Bale. First movie I ever saw him in was Newsies. If you have not seen it, you must. Cheesy Disney musical at it's best...but Christian sings and dances and is sooo adorable. Seriously though, how freaking amazing was he in The Fighter? Anyhoo... I digress...

    ReplyDelete
  10. i tried on those jammies also! so comfortable and so me, but i had to let it go. i picked up two skirts instead. seeing on you...makes me regret it. -gma

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look so pretty I love those shoes!!! I had issues with blogger awhile back and it's because I had not installed an update?! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your cute style! I too find it hard to give my personal style a name...it's just me! Love the grey and yellow look...adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always look so cute and quirky with your pattern mixing!! I don't think you fit into any one particular box.
    I've been wondering about my style too. I know what I want it to be, but am not quite sure I'm completely there in the way I do dress.

    P.S. Love your RM!! Such a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seriously, how the heck do you look so amazing in every single thing you put on?? Every time I see one of your outfits, I think that it's my favourite one on you, ever. And then the next day THAT'S my favourite one on you, ever! This outfit is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know I am not a guy.. but.. I have to say this.. you have a beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love this outfit- love it! I don't know about defining style, I kind of stay away from that kind of thing. It's sort of like decorating, think you should just decorate your home with what you like and not in a "style" or "theme" no offense to anyone who is into having a nautical room or red white and blue room or teddy bear room or anything like that, but I think if you are true to what you like, that's style... it doesn't need to be a type. Your style is you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your style is a mix of preppy and classic, with a whole lotta cute in between. It's hard to describe my style. I think i'm on the girlie side. I know what i would like mine to be: vintage-glamour :-)
    I can't believe how wonderful you look in jammies! Actually i CAN believe it..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's hard to describe people's style. I usually come up with the lame, it's a _____ (fill-in name here) outfit. But I feel the fact that its hard to categorize is a good thing, meaning you mix such eclectic things together to keep us on our toes. If it was me, I know I wouldn't want to be lumped into one category.

    BTW, I had the same issues with blogger but I used Firefox instead of IE and it fixed it.

    Complex Cardigans

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want this dress... so bad! I think your style is sweet. Very girl-next-door with a swirl of quirk.

    ReplyDelete
  20. umm...fierce urban cute? heh...yeah, I don't know, besides stringing together a bunch of adjectives...!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you're definitely a Modern Prep. You don't ever look like you're trying at all and come off fresh and pulled together. All. The. Time. I don't know what to call myself although the word "prep" is in there somewhere too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. No label for you. If pushed, I'd have to say femme something...definitely something to contrast femme. You mix up colors & prints, but your outfits are grounded. Howzabout Lisanique! *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd call your style smart yet feminine. It isn't fussy but it is always interesting and cool.

    I know what you mean about not wanting to be head to toe anything! You look really great here! What a chic dress!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm not good at defining my style either. You always look stylish to me and I guess I'd describe it as classic and fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The chinese zen master LaoZu says "the styled can be named is not true name of the style." ;-)

    Truly I think you are stylish and yet very down to earth. That give you the girl next door innocence and charm. And I love how you don't stick to one style so you are never boring.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a great dress/purse combo!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was having the same problem with the blogger commenting. Someone on twitter suggested unchecking the "keep me signed in" box when you log in and it corrects it. I tried it and it did! I don't know why it works, but it does and I was able to comment back on my own blog.

    I think your style could be described as playfully classic?? You wear some classic pieces that are jazzed up with color and print. Such great style.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I also think you have a classic style with the cut/structure of your clothing, but a fun style with your mix of prints and color. Scratching my head because I'm not sure what you'd call that exactly? Pamela's playfully classic sounds good!

    This dress looks so cute on you! And comfy too! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Like the others have said, it's hard to put a label on your style - maybe preppy with a eclectic twist? Whatever the case, you always look stylish, fresh and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...