18 February 2011

Crushing on a Manor

Thanks for all your kind comments yesterday, ladies. I read every one of them multiple times and truly have takens all your words to heart. It is good to read your reassurances that I don't need to feel that I am missing out on something that I need to be doing with my life right now, and it's great (?) to know that so many of you can also relate. Ah, being a girl ... especially with a Chinese mama (all you Chinese gals you know what I mean!) I know I should just live my life the way that feels best for me and my BF right now, but it's hard sometimes!

For matters regarding marriage and children, I sometimes don't know if it is something on my mind because I do want it all, or because I think that is what I should want. Or if I don't think I want it because I am internally rebelling or don't know if I am just not ready now for it - but then if I am not ready now, will I ever be ready? Welcome to my head ...

So of course it would make sense that I needed some lightness in my mind today and did dressing the easy way - a nice printed dress. And my favorite type of printed dress, the shirt dress!



Dress: Anthropologie Maeve wightwick manor (similar here or kinda here or not at all but fab here)
Belt: H&M double buckle (worn here before - similar here or here or snakebite-ish here)
Boots: Born taro (worn here before - similar here or here)
Tights: Target
Necklace: Anthropologie nueva granada (worn here before - similar here or simple here)
Bracelet: J. Crew studded bangle (similar set here or here)

♥   ♥   ♥   ♥

And adding more lightness to the fluffy girl fodder and one awkward segway: Do you gals have any unobtainable strong women that you crush over and admire from your distant little perches? Though my preferences have changed in the past few years especially since who is hot or not changes more than the wind nowadays, but my all-time fave girl crush has to be Sandra Bullock.

A hot girl who likes to crack jokes and doesn't mind making fun of herself? Yes, please! I don't know if it is so much of a crush than I either want to be her (except for the whole Jesse James and baby David thing - but keep the Oscar and millions of dollars) or want to hang out with her and trade trucker jokes over some brewskis!


New girl crush? Emily Blunt, of course. She's also very hot and also appears quite laidback and cool - plus she seems to do casual or haute couture with equal ease!
 
 

An honorable girl crush mention needs to go out to Kristen Stewart. I know we may not all agree, but I think she's a darn good actress. And she's kind of too cool for this whole "young Hollywood" thing and would rather bomb around in Cons and a plaid shirt than get all ruffled and eyelash-curled up (OK, a little annoying, but I admire her for sticking to her guns). Plus scoring the Twilight gig and R. Patz?

Sure I should probably have loftier girl crush pursuits - I should be telling you that I crush on Hillary Clinton for her strength of character and leadership abilities or Martha Stewart for her crafty entrepreneurial spirit or Ursula Burns for almost single-handedly turning around the fortunes of one of the largest companies in the US - but no, I like cute brunettes who act in comedies and look good wearing stilettos and pretty dresses.

And that's probably all the time you've got for me this week, so I'll leave it you now - who are you girl crushes and why?

25 comments:

  1. Beyond the fact that I always come here and covet your dresses, I *get* what you mean when it comes to Get On The Train! and The Socially Determined Path. I sometimes, upon looking at how my whole life is chronologically-warped and how I make all sorts of strange choices as compared to my peers, if I'm making a mistake. There are times when I think, all the what-ifs of The Expected would be so comforting. But, in carving your own path, despite the uncertainties, life is a big adventure!

    To be lived fully with your pretty dresses and big smiles. .

    And oh yes, a Chinese mama and marriage, and . . and.. (to be honest, my mother was worried I'd get 'left on the shelf' because I was so picky for years).

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute outfit!

    I can't agree with kristen stewart, but I do like the other two. One of my favs is Jennifer Garner... she's so cute/girl next door, funny, seems down to earth and that she's a great mom - her kids ALWAYS look so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute outfit today..I LOVE that belt you've paired the dres with...super cute! As for the girl crush...I love Reese WItherspoon...she just seems to have it all in balance--family, career, fashionable, healthy and fit...and she's such a great actress. And my gosh, love her hair! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look fab in the dress!

    My biggest girl crush has to be Zooey Deschanel. Her style is so great, and I adore her singing voice (her band She & Him is fantastic!). Another girl crush is Marion Cotillard from La Vie en Rose and, more recently, Inception. She reminds me of a mini Audrey Hepburn! She is fabulous.

    Happy Friday! Hope you have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to say Julia Roberts. She just seems so likeable and friendly, and is very naturally beautiful. I like to think her and I would be friends if she wasn't an actress (and we went to the same highshool).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your outfit, and the shoes must be comfy (currently craving a pair of born boots!). My girl crush? Rachel Weisz. I have always loved her, she seems so intelligent and all round amazing. Another several would include Sandra B.,and Zooey Deschanel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Wightwick manor dress on you it's so pretty! Great new header too I love it!! I think I look up most to Elizabeth Hassleback I just think she is pretty and dresses so cute. Also I don't think she is smarter than me so I that conversation could be fun!:) I also love Reese Witherspoon she is just a classy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love love Beyonce--she is equal parts talented, classy, and gorgeous! Jennifer Aniston is also a favorite and has been since her Friends days. I love her laid back style and humor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love prints and shirtdresses! You nailed it with this look. Beautiful and so well put together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOOVE your outfit! You're a beautiful lady and look very well put together :)

    My girl crushes:

    Mia Hamm
    Kelly Rippa
    Evangeline Lilly
    and Jennifer Aniston

    ReplyDelete
  11. woah wait a minute...I second Elizabeth Hasselback AND Reese Witherspoon! I actually have copied Elizabeth's outfits at times...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you folded the sleeves! I'm going to wear it like that too!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, the cute factor never fails with the wide waisted belt and fabulous boots. I like how vintage that dress looks, Anthropologie has some great vintage look without the wear and tear. Hrrrm, my girl crush? Natalie Portman, brains and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute outfit! I really like how you rolled the sleeves. This is one of my favorite dresses:)

    My main girl crush right now is Sophia Bush - her hair is gorgeous (and I'm currently growing my hair out so that I can copy her style), she is super sexy, and she is in one of my favorite (trashy) shows.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes, i know what it is to come from an asian family with an asian mama! there's much more pressure to get married and produce grandchildren to carry on the family lineage. There's especially more pressure when all your cousins (who are younger!) get married before you. Hehe.
    I have a girl crush on KStew - i think she's naturally gorgeous. I like how she doesn't care about the hollywood glitz and glam. I particularly admire her outfits that she wears to the airport, really low-key - the stuff i wear on the plane!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your outfit.. the print of your dress is so pretty!

    i heart emily blunt too!! she just seems so elegant and ladylike.. but she seems like she'd be a hoot too!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can I change my mind? I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but my actual girl crush is on Christina Hendricks (Joan from Mad Men). I think she is the hottest woman on TV and I love her style and her attitude!!! I heard an interview with her recently and she sounded so down-to-earth, smart, and fun (plus, just look at her - wowza)!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great outfit! Love that print, so pretty.

    And I definitely have a 'strong woman' crush. Love the ladies you mentioned, as well as Cate Blanchett and Reese Witherspoon. Gorgeous, generous, and intelligent. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh wow new blog look - how nice! Rolling up the sleeves of the dress really makes the outfit look more prominent and makes you look like you're wearing it rather it overpowering you.

    www.mrschong.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've got big girl crushes on Rachel McAdams, Reese Witherspoon, Zooey Deschanel, Mila Kunis, Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley, and Scarlett Johansson. I actually think that I have more girl crushes than I do guy crushes!

    ReplyDelete
  21. devilishly pleasurable - I love your way of thinking, I need to adopt it more!

    E Hayes - ooh, Jen Garner for sure! I love her, and really appreciate she'd rather be a mom and wife and live a normal life now than be all Hollywood all the time - but she sure knows how to still glam it up when needed!

    triciathomas - I'm a dummy because I had to look up Elizabeth Hasselback, because I initially thought she was the gal who played Jessie on Saved by the Bell! Boy, was I WRONG!

    vintageglammz - I actually think my parents are more laidback than more other Chinese parents - because my sis' mother-in-law is now all about pushing for baby number two from her!

    kristin - Ooh, Christina Hendricks! This may sound weird, but I just love to look at her. She's ALL woman and ALL sorts of beautiful!

    Danielle C - I usually have to roll my sleeves up because I'm short and sleeves are either too long for me or hit me wrong. But I also love how rolling sleeves up "casual" and outfit out!

    Sara - I am the same way! And Rachel McAdams, ooh, I love her!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely Lisa!

    I was wearing my Wightwick Manor on Wednesday. but I didn't post the outfit until Saturday. We were almost twins for a day. I think this dress flatters you so much better than me. I love your Dark Brown Boots and Belt. The dress is almost a no brainer for styling. You can throw on almost any combo of Boots and Belt and your out the door. I love that the Gold in the Print can look Olive Green depending on which color is your whim.

    Love your STRONG WOMEN picks. Sanda Bullock would definitely hit the top of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ah, the Wightwick. I so love that dress. Easy and chic. You look stunning in it! I had to think long and hard about this one... I used to have a huge crush on Jennifer Garner when ALIAS was around, I love Cameron Diaz (gorgeous and funny!), but I totally love Rachel McAdams. I wanted to BE HER in in the Notebook. Didn't we all?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...