20 January 2011

Quick Bacon Love



Top: Anthropologie Odille Bianka (most sold out online, check stores - similar print here, style here)
Sweater: J. Crew featherweight cardigan (worn here before - similar here)
Pants: AT Loft modern bootleg corduroy (worn here before)
Shoes: Artisan by Clarks (worn here before - similar here or here)

♛   ♛   ♛   ♛

My BF's mom spent much of her younger days raising two kids by herself while holding down a hellacious work schedule as a nurse. She'd often be gone for twelve-fourteen hour stints and come home exhausted after having spent her days on her feet non-stop and taking care of children in distress. Her two kids, an academically gifted girl and natural sportsman boy, often had to take a back seat to other people's children who were undergoing life-changing surgical procedures.

Suffice it to say, BF's mom never found a fondness for cooking. She didn't enjoy food prep, looking up recipes or going shopping for exotic ingredients. She wanted something nutritious, tasty and - most importantly - hassle-free quick that she could throw together for the kids when she got home after a long day.

This was one of the recipes she often made for her family, specifically because it could be made in advance, got better with some sitting time, and could be served cold. She made it for dinner a few months ago when the BF and I went over to visit and what she had forgot to mention to us when she first served the salad was that it is damn good (especially for a "convenience" salad).

BF's mom didn't have a specific reference for the salad but I was able to find it online easy enough. This recipe for bacon-swiss tossed salad is pretty much what we've been served, and I was glad to find it because now we can replicate the same hearty salad at home. Add on a nice crusty hunk of bread and dinner is served.

What doesn't go better with a bowl of bacon?

Give the salad a big old tossing.

Finished product. I had to put my own slight spin on things and added in some mushrooms - sauteed in a bit of the bacon grease, of course!

29 comments:

  1. Being a vegetarian who also doesn't like mushrooms, I can't really comment on the salad but I can tell you that I LOVE this outfit! I love that blousy top, the sleeves peeking out from under the cardigan and I adore that bright yellow color! And those shoes...so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm, bacon! I'm going to give that salad a try! If it's fast and easy, then hey, that makes it even better!

    I LOVE the Bianka blouse on you, and I love how you played up the yellow in it with that cardigan. You look so tall and lean in those cords, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH NO! I had a khaki tan featherweight s/s cardi byt it had a little stain on it so I never wore it, I donated it. Now I know it would have been perfect for the Vitalize blouse (then new bianka)... damn! looks great, looks like I'll have to get the dup

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the ruffled sleeves peek out from under the cardigan. Looks great! And Lisa, that bacon salad just made my stomach turn into knots. Your poor bf's mother--at least her children appreciated her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. O love the black and yellow in your outfit. The blouse is gorgeous and the salad looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you layered this cardigan over the blouse! I always wondered how to do that with that particular cut of sleeve... thanks for increasing my layering options! You look adorable - I am a sucker for a floral blouse and neutral shoes! Nicely done - and you look great!... BTW - Salad looks AWESOME! :) Cheers!

    Girls Day Out gdo-family.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look so beautiful wearing that Bianka Blouse (I LOVE that motif so much!!) and pairing it will yellow is so genius, so fresh! LOVE! My sweetie would be ALL OVER that bacon salad, girl! I just might have to make that for him sometime as a special treat (I'd probably sneak a bite of it too!). Thanks for the recipe, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My BF would love this salad! Me? Not so much only cos I'm still trying to shed my Fall/Winter sparetire :P Great outfit, I've been eyeing the blouse online, think there may be a few left in my size still. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen that bianka blouse in all shapes and sizes lately. I think I really want one now! I love the pattern of this particular version.

    I just had one of the most delicious salads last weekend, and it was mainly because it had large pieces of crispy bacon in it. It also had a large tater tot type potato. I might take this recipe and add some tater tots, because truthfully, I'm not a huge mushroom fan. Thanks for all of these recipes. I still have to make the meat loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks delicious! love that Anthro shirt on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your salad looks delicious!

    I love the way you styled the yellow cardi with the dark colors. The contrast makes everything pop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Salad looks soo yummy!! Cute outfit too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bacon. Oh, bacon. I love the smell of thee. Now, I love the mushroom and salad part of this recipe and Mr. M would love the bacon part :)

    I just bought Bianka in raspberry!!!! Soo excited and I love it layered under the sweater so you see the ruffle peeking out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You found the cutest solution for still showing off the ruffle detail on this pretty top while wearing a cardi - adorable!!! I don't eat salad. Or bacon. But I am drooling over your shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. bacon is the BEST. i just introduced my kids to pb, bacon, banana and honey sandwiches. perhaps this will get 'em to eat salad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not a fan of bacon.. but a BIG fan of your outfit. I love how the short sleeved cardigan works with your Bianca blouse. It is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummo, that salad looks very satisfying!
    How lovely is your outfit. The brightness of the yellow compliments wonderfully with the yellow tones in the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I've been admiring that blouse on the Anthropologie site -- it looks great on you! And I love it with the yellow cardigan. I'm semi vegetarian so bacon has not been on my menu for decades, but I would have loved that meal as a kid...

    ReplyDelete
  19. heh...I was expecting a bacon reference with the outfit but didn't get it!! Lovely unexpected outfit (and the salad looks yummy)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your outfit is just so darn gorgeous. I love how you layered the bianka under the cardi and let the ruffled sleeves show. And the Yellow is stunning over the dark top.

    This salad is so easy I think I can even make it. Another great easy salad is spinach with Artichoke Hearts. You use the oil in the Artichokes as the dressing. Add in anything else you please.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also love how you layered the Bianka...totally going to copy that. That bowl of bacon looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love bacon any time of the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like that you're able to show off Bianka's adorable sleeves with the cardigan you selective. I'm still kicking myself for even trying on that blouse. And wanna know something funny? Before I even read the outfit details, I thought, "I hope those pants are cords. That would be so perfect." And sure enough, they are : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm officially drooling! J'adore bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love how the sleeves peek out! And, oh gosh, bacon-- one of the greatest earthly delights!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this outfit on you - very casual chic. And bacon - MMMmmmmmmmm, I LOVE me some bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That salad looks great. I think I know how to eat bacon without guiiiilt. Thanks, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  28. you were sooooooo right about those mossimo dv knockoff sandals. boo. i had to send 'em back, too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. nice printed top,I just had some bacon this morning :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...