26 December 2010

The Importance of Being Victorian

Happy Holidays, you beautiful people! I hope your Christmas days were peaceful and warming, regardless of whether or not you celebrate the day. Here's hoping for additional discounts off anything you didn't find in your stockings for the rest of the holiday season!

♥   ♥   ♥   ♥

My apparent penchant for cugly (cute/ugly) print dresses has apparently followed me up to the NE where between an online order and visit to the store, I'm probably over-indulged in Anthro's recent tag sale. I did manage to score deals on the Raines heels and found the last pair of Pebbled and Primped boots at my local-ish store (and maybe some other stuff too ...)

I also purchased Maeve's Wightwick Manor dress on a whim and though I am in love with the cut, overall fit, and soft corduroy, there's the issue of this print. As for size, I ordered down from normal based on the online reviews and I am thinking I may need to head back to the store (haha) to get my regular size, as apparently I have a larger rib cage. The dress fits perfectly everywhere but it tight right below the chest and above the waist. I guess I am big-boned?

The print, similar to my experience with the Sugar-Coated dress, I don't know if I like this off-kilter unusual fabric, or if it reminds me of wallpaper from the '60s. Or carpet from the '70s. It actually does a good job of being reminescent of the actual Victorian Wightwick Manor. My big sis though, took one look at this dress and didn't even blink before saying "return it." I don't know, I am digging the fit so much that I kind of want to keep it - and am even considering it in the slightly too small size if I can't find my usual 2.
 
What do you think? Keep, or is the print just cugly going on plain ole ugs?

22 comments:

  1. I think you look gorg - I too was not a fan of the print online, but dangit if it's not CUTE on YOU! KEEPER in my opinion! I love that close up that you took - makes me kick myself for not buying this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dress is so cute! Hope you had a great Holiday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! The fit is great and the cord so soft! I tried to find it and failed! haha. WOw, you got some Raines & the Pebbled and Primped too? Yay! Score!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't a fan of that dress in person, but it looks great on you! I love how you styled it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you rock this print, and the reference to Wightwick Manor, as a Pre-Raphaelite art nerd, makes my day! Keep keep keep I say :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas, Lisa! I think you look super cute in this dress, I am a cugly print kind of girl, so I'm loving it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that the dress looks gorgeous on you. I wanted to try it myself, but the last two shirtdresses I got from Anthro (Reed and Refined Cord) were SO tight on the arms and chest, so I was nervous about trying another one.

    I think that the print on this one sets the dress apart. The colors are subtle enough that it is not outlandish, but the print gives it personality. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's funny- in all the reviews of this dress i somehow missed that's it's corduroy- so cute! I think it looks great on you! I guess try the next size and see if it still looks good- I love the print and now I'm reconsidering...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny because of all the shirt dresses that Anthro has put out this past year, this is the only one that fit like a glove on me, although I had the same dilemma with the print...reminds me of a couch my parents had when I was a child. I paired mine with the red cylindrical braid belt for a pop of color, some tan knee-high boot socks, and brown boots. I love it on you and definitely think it's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The print from a far doesn't look near as overwhelming. Loved "cugly", I've had to explain to my dad what "fugly" is a few times. ;-) It looks cute on you and I definitely think if you want to keep the dress, find your usual size.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Lisa! Happy Christmas (a day late!), and happy holidays.
    Up close, i don't like the print of the dress. But from afar, it actually doensn't look too bad, and looks like a checked print.
    I agree with all the comments here and think you look super cute in it.
    It doesn't look too small from here, but if you feel it is, good idea to go up a size.
    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the print! Maybe it's the combo of the print and the corduroy fabric that reminds in the best possible way of my grandma's house in the 70s. It's a keeper I say and it looks great on you!

    Merry Christmas and have a fantastic New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh Ohhh, I think I'm going to be the first one to vote for nay on the dress. It does look good on you, but the print just throws me off and feel like it will work temporarily but may not be a long-term piece. Just my 2 cents though because what really matters is how you feel in it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I lie cugly prints too- I thin you look great but I'm with Dea, it's not my favorite. I have seen some other bloggers look great in it (you included) but something about it throws me off...

    If you think you will reach for it enough, keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i like it, but I also liked the sugar coated dress, so I guess I am with you on the cugly print! If it makes you happy, keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa, oh please, you are not big boned! You're a teeny little thing :-) And I say, if you like it keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. If I were you, I should keep it! It looks great on you^^

    ReplyDelete
  18. The style is very flattering on your shape as is the color palette for your skin tone....I'd keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it's really cute on you! Keep!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, I don't think the pattern is that bad. I don't mind it at all. If you like the dress, you should keep it. It looks great on you!

    Lisa
    www.sweetlaundry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for your feedback, ladies! I did manage to trade out my size 0 for a 2 yesterday (meaning yay, a size I can eat in!) so I think I'll hold onto it for a bit longer so I can figure out whether not I'll actually reach for it!

    Peggy - thank goodness for a shirtdress that buttons all the way down! I don't have to have that thing half up around my shoulders trying to pull it off like the sugar-coated dress!

    Ady - I definitely don't think this dress was tight in the arms, so if you happen upon on in your size, I think you'd rock it well!

    nina - your outfit pairing sounds awesome, I may have to copy you!

    Ashley - I've given up trying to get my parents to understand "trendy new-fangle words" anymore!

    Dea / spiffy - I know what you gals mean. I wish I could just stare at this pattern from a distance all the time - up close, it seems a tad much, but maybe I just shouldn't stare down at myself in this dress! ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...