29 June 2010

Minty Spaghetti




Feeling a bit whimsical today. And better lighting.

Dress: H&M (thanks, sis - worn here before)
Sweater: Mossimo by Target cropped cotton
Belt: Anthropologie Infinity (worn a million times over)
Shoes: Kenneth Cole Reaction Pine-A-Colada (worn a million +1 times over)

Thanks for the good comments about the Texas Spaghetti. I actually never heard of the dish until my BF (who went to college in TX) cooked it for me a while ago - since then we have it on fairly regular rotation (once every couple of weeks because we always make TONS) and I've been the one making it (BF says I make it better than he does - true comment, or is he just getting himself out of having to cook? Hm).

I don't know how "Texas" this actually is, since to me, it's just a kind of amped up meat sauce. I actually thought the name was made up until I Googled it today, but Texas Spaghetti actually exists - in about two million variations. Here's a rough recipe for the dish as I know it - great thing about this is that you can pretty much add what you want to taste. And yes, I make it a little different every time ...

Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble ...

"Texas" Spaghetti (loose recipe)
1 green pepper chopped
1 lb ground beef
1/2 large onion chopped (or 1 medium chopped)
5 cloves garlic chopped
1bx spaghetti
2 jars spaghetti sauce
Chili powder
Cayenne pepper
Black pepper
Salt
Bay leaf
1 jalapeno chopped (optional if you like your sauce extra kicky)
Other options: fresh chopped basil, sprinkle of nutmeg, dash of cinnamon, chopped rosemary
  1. Saute all the onions and peppers in olive oil until softened, about 5 min. (make sure the pan will be large enough to accommodate the sauce later on)
  2. Add garlic to the mix and saute another 3-4 min.
  3. Sprinkle in some pepper and chili powder
  4. Add ground beef to the mix and saute until all the meat is cooked through, about 5-7 min.
  5. Add bay leaf, tiny dash of cinnamon (if you like it), and about 1/2 tsp each cayenne pepper and chili powder
  6. Add in first jar of sauce and mix in - let simmer for about 10 min, stirring occassionally
  7. While sauce is simmering, cook the pasta to the directions on the box
  8. After 10 min, add in about 1/2 the second jar of sauce and let simmer a few more minutes - add pepper, salt and other seasonings to taste
  9. Reserve about 1/2 C the pasta water - drain the pasta and put back into cooking pot
  10. Spoon the sauce over the pasta and mix in well - add dashes of the reserved pasta water and the uncooked sauce if things are looking a little thick
  11. Cover the pot, flame off, and let sit for about 5-10 min. to let the pasta suck up the good sauce
Makes enough to feed 4-6, depending on how hungry you are. I usually serve mine with some garlic bread and a simple salad - and I always have a ton of extra sauce, so that can be served on the side in case others want a bit more. And don't worry about over-cooking the sauce as long as you have it on simmer - the time just lets all the spices and ingredients blend in flavor (look at me sounding like I know what I'm talking about - ha ha).

The finished pasta in pot. Saucy goodness - def not authentic Italian.

Tonight's dinner is going to be a "doozy" - grilled hot dogs with fresh corn, beans, salad, assorted chips. What can I say, BF and I are addicted to the Ball Park brand Angus beef hot dogs - soooooo good, for reals.  :o)

17 comments:

  1. I love your outfit today. I love a mint colored anything even though I can't stand the minty taste of anything! :)

    That spaghetti looks soooo good. Reminds me that I haven't cooked it in a while. I also make a variation of that sauce but with turkey instead, for a healthier option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I haven't had any form of spaghetti for what seems like forever!

    Cute outfit. I loooove anything mint, food and fashion included!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your outfit, especially those shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. super cute dress- i love mint! We had spaghetti last night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress is so pretty!

    I made spaghetti with a homemade Trapanese pesto last night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty, pretty dress!

    Too funny, I intended to make a chicken dish for dinner, but realized I didn't have an ingredient when I went to cook - so dh had hot dogs for dinner too! I wrap mine in a crescent roll with a slice of cheese, super fancy, lol. I want some of that spaghetti - yuuuuuuuuum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been loving your belted dresses lately! Your spaghetti looks delicious too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely dress! The color looks great on you.:D

    Thanks for the recipe, will tell my husband about this.:D

    http://allthingsmarie.blogspot.com/
    Beauty. Fashion. Interior Design.
    & Life According to Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, I LOVE this outfit! One of my faves on you! That cropped cardi is perfection for this dress.

    Spaghetti looks soooo yum! If I hadn't just eaten, I'd be so hungry right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG I need to eat that...pronto!
    Oh yes, your dress looks good too! LOL
    No really, that scalloped edge is just perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Cindi. Ooh, turkey sounds like a good idea, but unfortunately the BF won't eat anything with ground turkey (it's just one of his weird food "things"). When we make burgers, he will usually segregate my turkey burger to the far side of the grill, lest they touch his regular ones, haha.

    Thanks, Pamela. Spaghetti sauce and I are really good friends. Even though I'm guaranteed to get it on my shirt every time.

    La Historiadora & Peggy - isn't spaghetti filling and easy? Carbs are my BFFs.

    Hi Jan - I've done that too! I get the Lil Smokies sausages and wrap them in cresent rolls and make a ton for parties. So easy and good!

    Thanks for your lovely comments, Liz, Michelle, Marie, Eek and Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the dress and the spaghetti looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That dress looks so much like the one in Alice in Wonderland (the Tim Burton version) and I am IN LOVE WITH IT!!!! Beautiful and classic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The color of that dress is amazing! You have great style.

    Great blog! So glad I found it.

    xo Marcie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you own anything that's not cute? I didn't think so. And that spaghetti looks uhhmazingly delicious.

    Remember to enter for your chance to win a Two Strap Belt from Sway!

    Melanie@UnravelledThreads

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for visiting, Iva and Marcie!

    Haha, thanks, Melanie. Why yes I do own some non-cute things - lots, in fact. Waaaaay too many, actually. Good thing my closet's sometimes an abyss though.

    Thanks much, Tricia. Ooh, love the Alice reference, now I like the dress even more!

    Thanks, OneCraftyFox!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...