12 May 2010

Black and Blue

I took a cue today from Amy, with her mad layering skills (see here and here) and decided on a first for me - a dress over a skirt. I'm not 100% this outfit works, but I am feeling IT - maybe it's the popped collar (that's just how I roll) or the flippy skirt, which is like a new puchase for me because it has languished unworn in my closet until I finally got it shortened recently.





Dress: Banana Republic cotton shirtdress
Skirt: J. Crew cotton striped
Belt: Anthropologie Infinity
Shoes: Kenneth Cole Pine A Colada
Bracelets: Old Navy enamel
Wallet: Cole Haan patent leather slim continental

And if you didn't already know, the blog most of us affectionally call "the mothership" recently celebrated its 2nd birthday. And to honor the lovely Alexis, J. Crew is offering a special one-day birthday deal for Alexis and her loyal followers - 15% off and free shipping with no minimum. For more info, go to J. Crew Aficionada.

Thanks, Alexis! And thanks, J. Crew, even though this ultimately means you win again, as I joined in on the melee and got some stuff I really didn't need.

17 comments:

  1. You look cute! Thanks for the shoutout! I really like the idea of an unbuttoned shirt dress with a skirt peeping out! Hmmmmmm... Maybe this is a good excuse to buy a huge tutu-like skirt and wear it under a shirtdress? You have just opened up a whole new world to me, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. grogeous! love how you created an outfit that can be dressed up or dressed down!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the opened dress look. So fashion-forward :)

    Melanie@Unravelled Threads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this look -- it's so clever. You look so great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job with the layering!! I also love the pop of red from the clutch!

    www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. you put these pieces together so well...i love it! and there's no extra bulk with the skirt under the dress. i love it!
    xox alison

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that J.Crew skirt and regret not buying any pieces from that collection. Recently one of my coworkers was wearing a shirtdress from that collection and I almost died from sheer lust and regret.

    I love your outfit but if I could make one suggestion, it would be that you should wear a necklace or scarf to add some color on top to make things more balanced.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohh i love the way this looks! the layers are perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like it actually! It is really creative. What if you wore a lacy top underneath and opened up the top buttons, leaving the middle button done and belt on. That might help with the balance issue brought up by other commenters.
    I love those shoes! =) Your blog is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore this layering idea. It's a fun way to mix it up.

    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all your comments, ladies, and HI to the new visitors - thanks for stopping by!

    Fallon/Lisa - Ha ha, we're all on the same page because I'm currently on the hunt for a cute ivory or white lacy slip/light dress that would work under my shirtdresses for "double peekage." I think Anthro had one that recently went on sale that would've been perfect except it's sold out now and I have no idea what it's called.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never seen a look like this! I'm feelin' it!


    A.Co @ A.Co est. 1984

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks so cool and you carried it really well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you are talking about the Saint Germaine Slip :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love everything about this outfit!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...