28 April 2010

Sweet Child of Mine




Sweater: Gap cotton short-sleeve cardigan
Dress: Mossimo tank dress from Target
Necklace: Ebay Anthro-faux-logie
Bracelet: J. Crew studded bangle
Shoes: Sofft Roma

Tien's post last night about trying to recreate one of her mom's family recipes made me reminiscent for my mom's home cooking. What is it about the tastes from home that not only gets my buds salivating but brings back a flood of really warm memories?

My mom is self-admittedly not an awesome cook, nor does she particularly enjoy it. But to me, no one can make dumplings or egg pancakes or meatballs or even simple sauteed broccoli or spinach like she can - some real Chinese home cooking. And even though I remember helping her out numerous times in the kitchen through my youth and young adulthood, I can't recreate the same tastes.

Here's something I did try last night - Everday Fried Noodles from Saveur. This is not something my mom ever made, but it is actual Chinese food and not something you get from your local take-out joint. It's not a difficult or spectacular recipe, but makes for an easy weeknight dinner. I did feel like I needed to give it a kick though, and threw on some of my favorite hot sauce at the end to eat.

The raw ingredients. I didn't realize how long it takes to julienne things - sheesh.

The end  results - the dish was fine but I think I used the wrong noodles (these seemed a little too thick).
I also used a bit of my fave hot sauce to spice things up (the one with the rooster on it - that's the only way I recognize the brand).

Sorry for the dark pics - my kitchen isn't near any windows.

Are there any particular dishes your mom made that you miss?

21 comments:

  1. The color of your dress is perfection!

    Melanie @Unravelled Threads
    Don't forget to enter my custom elastic waistband skirt giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heck yeah, rooster hot sauce! Sriracha for the win! At least I think that's how you spell it.

    The noodles look delish, and I'm a fan of all kinds of noodles, so if you don't want your bowl, kindly send it my way, please! Haha!

    I love the bright blue dress, too! It makes me really excited for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I LOVE the rooster hot sauce. We mix it with mayo and some other spices to make the japanese shrimp sauce like you get in the hibachi restaurants. YUM! Your meal looks so yummy and I adore your necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss chocolate chip cookies. The last time my mom was here I made her make them WITH me and I STILL can't get them to taste the same.
    Your noodle dish looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dress color is way too pretty! Love it.

    I feel the same way about my mom's cooking -- no one will ever come close to her steaks, cookies or barbeque. I really need her to write down all her recipes because she makes it look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a cute outfit and I like the necklace. It adds the "it" factor to the plain blue dress.:D

    Just came across your blog today and just followed you.:D I hope you can give my blog a visit and maybe follow too?:D

    http://allthingsmarie.blogspot.com/
    BEAUTY. FASHION. DESIGN.
    ...and everything girly under the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the blue on blue! :)

    Yes, those sandals are from H&M too. So cute and such a great deal.

    Thanks for entering my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy! You know, I never appreciated my mom's cooking until I left for college. Now I adore it...our favorite is what I call "chinese fajitas" where she handmakes the tortillas and stir fries different meats and veggies to put inside!

    BTW, your necklace is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh that food looks tasty! I also love the blue of your dress (so pretty) and that necklace is amazing (nice find)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the blues together. Your necklace adds the perfect touch. I miss my Mom's dark chocolate cake with peanut butter icing. She also made potato soup, it was easy but I never got either recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm that looks delicious! For me, I love my mom's macaroons.

    And I love the necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous outfit, love the color of that dress and the necklace drapes beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  13. those noodles look so yummy- I might have to steal the recipe! really anything I can put sriracha on is great in my book.

    I love that necklace too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE your necklace and those noodles look amazing! My mom makes these delicious homemade raviolis that I love and miss. Maybe I should learn how to make them.

    xo
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love the bright dress--so simple and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really love that necklace! Kinda reminds me of Tord Boontje's work. Anthro-faux-logie: haha, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love your necklace! it's soo cute! good thing i'm still living at home because i will for sure miss everything my mom makes. :D

    p.s. i am now following. follow me too? thanks! :)
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are making me miss my mom's cooking ! I grew up eating Chinese food and love your recipe !! IMO using a soft skinnier type of noodles like chow mein would be best :)

    Mon Mode Blog

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for all your comments, ladies!

    Eek - my mom made a version of that too with those rice "tortilla" things. Mm, so good ...

    Zanah - I totally agree, I should have used a skinnier noodle. But I was totally overwhelmed in the noodle aisle of my local Asian mart. Waaaaay to many choices.

    Thanks for newly following, Mimi and Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh cute, cute - that dress is adorable! I must persue, next time I am at Target!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...