23 March 2010

A Domestic Stripe

OK, I am fully addicted to stripes and can't get enough of them. I've worn them pretty much every day for almost a week now and have to physically keep myself from buying more stripes. The weather has been crappy lately, so here's my OOTD (inspired by the scarf-wielding ways of Elaine and What Would a Nerd Wear) and then a Domestic Goddess moment (albeit brief and not really Goddess-like).



Top: Lands' End striped boatneck
Scarf: H&M
Belt: Deena & Ozzy stretch from Urban Outfitters
Skirt: Ann Taylor Loft cotton tulip
Wedges: Aerosoles Vice Squad

And My Psuedo-Domestic Goddess Moment:
BF's favorite thing in the world is a chocolate milk shake made with vanilla ice cream and Hershey's syrup. Since we were making dinner on Sunday, I thought it'd be cool to try a twist to BF's fave and remembered reading about a marshmallow shake from Rachael Ray's magazine (*hangs head in shame* yes, I read her magazine, but if she says "EVOO" one more time ...).

A quick Google-fu chop later and I was swimming in marshmallow shake recipes. They were all pretty much the same, so I picked one from Oprah's web site, since it was based off a recipe from a restaurant known for their shakes.

This is the recipe for the Toasted Marshmallow Shake from Oprah.com. I quartered/third the recipe so I could just test out one shake. And here's my personal pictorial:

Ta Da: the main ingredients.

The headliner: toasted marshmallows. If you use your broiler, watch the mallows carefully, it'll take less than a minute for those suckers to start burning up (and the recipe said keep them in there for 2-3 minutes!) Burnt sugar smell ... *cough*

Everyone in the pool (i.e., the world's most over-powered blender ever).

The end result: save a few mallows for toppers.

My verdict? While I think this is a great idea in theory neither BF nor I were overly impressed. I think the "toasted"/burnt sugar taste threw us off. But it is an easy recipe to try and may be right up your ally if you're a sweet tooth. These mallow shakes are supposedly the new thing, so it's probably better at restaurants, where they can put a chemical in the shakes to make you crave them fortnightly - like they do with the Colonel's chicken.

11 comments:

  1. You should try the Nutella & Burnt Marshmallow milkshake at flip, I'm sure it will change your mind about marshmallow shakes.

    http://www.flipburgerboutique.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stripes too, great shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that striped top! I can't get enough stripes this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admit that I kind of love the Colonel's chicken. BWAHAHA. And also, I used to adore Rachael Ray -- I think her downfall was her spreading herself too thin. I mean, she has just about 3257328 television shows now and also a magazine, and really, the woman needs to take it easy!

    And even though your marshmallow shake didn't turn out like you hoped, it is SO pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we did have a fashion jinx! love your scarf. that is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recommendation, Fallon. BF is a total cheeseburger head so this place sounds right up his ally. Plus I spied their online menu - they have Krispy Kreme shakes?!

    Thanks for visiting, OneCraftyFox and KrameyMartin! Stripes are so classic ... and easy.

    Amy - I kind of liked Rachael better during her $40-a-Day days. Now she's got all this QVC and mail order stuff going on, and Giada is following right after her. And yes, I do like the chicken of the fried variety ...

    Thanks, Hillary! The scarf was great for the morning but when the sun came out and it hit like 70 here, that and the tights are getting kind of warm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love stripes too - love the way your combined the 2 different ones!

    Those toasted marshmallows look good enough to eat on their own - or make smores with!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been loving all of the Land's End stuff lately. Great outfit and both are awesome inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Eek. Typically I love a good marshmallow and toasted is even better but the shake didn't seem to do for me. Maybe I need a retest with a different recipe!

    Thanks, FT. Lands' End stuff has been awesome lately, I totally agree. And now they're having their spring sale with FS, no minimum! Ack, willpower ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. yum, that sounds/looks so tasty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, Fallon beat me to it, but I was going to recommend Flip as well! Try their Nutella and Krispy Kreme too, if you can! Nommers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...