17 February 2010

Jailhouse Rock


My latest Anthro acquisition: The Slate Stripes Shift by Maeve. I'm not sure what it was about this dress that drew my attention - maybe because I like Maeve dresses. Or maybe because I heart stripes. Or maybe because I found this on Ebay for about a third of retail and thought, what the hey.

Well ... hey.

Yes, it does look slightly reminescent of something a fashionable jailbird would be wearing. And yes, it looks mildly ... sacky. But it's got cute red buttons on the back and though the fit is loose, it is cut so it doesn't gap at the underarms.

On the dress form.

On me, un-retouched. :o) I was just trying it on and didn't feel like taking my tissue t-neck off.
Bad #1: Unfortunately the dress looks on me exactly like it does on the dress form.

Me being a silly-butt. Speaking of butt - Bad #2: This dress does NOT pass the bend-over test.
And yes, that is that a saggy dress paunch up front - Bad #3, I guess.

Redeeming #1: I kind of like it with a belt. Sans t-neck and with a cute cardi over it, it may work.

Redeeming #2 & #3: The material is lightweight and soft, and the dress is super-comfy on.
Plus I like the cute contrast stitching detail.

OK, so I'm kind of undecided on this one. But I think I can make it work (only partly because I can't return it since I purchased it off Ebay) and I kind of like having some Anthro pieces that not everyone will be wearing.

What do you gals think? Hopefully not an unanimous "nay"?

9 comments:

  1. I am sorry... But I vote nay. It looks bulbous in shape...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually really like this dress and love that you've paired it with the turtleneck!

    www.fashiontherapist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like how you redeemed it, it does look cute with the slip & belt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, Ady, you're right - it is bulbous. When I first tried it on, I was like "WTF?" I don't think it even looked flattering on the catalog model. Definitely not worth full price for a purchase - thankfully I paid nowhere near that.

    FT & Audrey - Thanks! I think I'm going to try to make it work. It is definitely not a piece that can stand on its own though - it needs finagling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actualy like it! I like that it's tent-like. Great when you know you'll be eating a lot :D And that's too bad about the bend-over test! I always do that too...hahahah!

    Don't forget to enter to win a tankini of your choice!

    clothedmuch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. i actually like it. i think the belt pulled the outfit together giving it body.

    xx,
    betz
    http://herarmoire.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Elaine and Betz. I tried the dress on again today with a belt and cardi over it and I actually really like it now. It still doesn't pass the bend over test, but I guess I'll just need to be very very careful ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the neckline on the dress. I'm glad you didn't give up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it for summer! But if it's current and even if it doesn't have tags, I would try to exchange it if you're still on the fence.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting, please leave a comment if you like!
(Spammers will be deleted - sorry).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...